Get busy and active
‘Getting active’ isn’t about going to a boot camp or immediately training to run a marathon. Everyone has different abilities and circumstances. Getting active is about making small, lasting changes in your lifestyle to incorporate both your physical and mental wellbeing.
Physical activity has been said to lower rates of anxiety and depression as well as boosting your mood and wellbeing.
Some simple adjustments could be:
- Walking up the stairs, instead of taking the lift.
- Doing something active in your lunch break
- Learn some suitable stretches that help with movement
- Get off the bus one stop earlier or later than usual and walk the final part of your journey to work/home
- Some of the healthiest activities of all are very gentle – yoga, tai-chi, pilates
- Have a kick-about in a local park
- Do basic exercises from your chair
- Instead of calling/emailing, stretch your legs and walk to someone’s desk instead
- Do the housework and gardening