Civil Legal Advice

  • Abuse & trauma
  • Employment, debt & benefits
  • Housing issues

Last updated:

Add to My Toolkit

Civil Legal Advice is a government service.  They provide free and confidential legal advice in England and Wales if you’re eligible for legal aid.

There is a ‘legal aid checker’ on the website that you can use to see if you’re eligible.

You can get help with legal aid for:

  • debt, if your home is at risk
  • special educational needs
  • housing, if you’re homeless or at risk of being evicted
  • discrimination issues
  • help and advice if you’re a victim of domestic abuse
  • separating from an abusive partner, when you’re making arrangements for children or sorting out money and property
  • issues around a child being taken into care
  • some child abduction cases

When you speak to the CLA you will need proof of the following if they apply to you:

  • recent payslips (if you’re working)
  • bank statements
  • details of any savings and investments you have
  • details of any benefits you get
  • mortgage statements and a current valuation for any property you own

Telephone: 0345 345 4 345 (Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm; Sat 9am to 12:30pm)

You can also contact CLA if you are unhappy about the service you have received from them.

You can ask Civil Legal Advice for a free call back – or text ‘legalaid’ and your name to 80010.

There is a free translation service if English isn’t your first language.

You can also book a British Sign Language interpreter if you are deaf or hard of hearing.

Back to top