Giving is about give something of yourself (your time, money or kindness) for a friend, or even a stranger! A simple thank you or a smile to someone else can be enough to make you happier. You could even volunteer your time, or join a community group?
Feeling part of a community can promote a greater sense of happiness. Research has shown that committing an act of kindness once a week, over a period of six weeks, is associated with an increase in wellbeing.
- Volunteering is one way of giving back your time to others, and can also be a way of learning a new skill and meeting new, like-minded people.
- Give a friend or relative a few minutes of your time, you can give them a call and check on how they're doing.
- Offer to fetch the shopping, or look after the kids of a neighbour so they have some time to relax.
- Share your favourite recipe with your friends, or cook it and invite them over for tea!
- Raise money for a good cause - supporting others can make you feel valued.
- Donate some unwanted clothing to your local charity shop.
- Offer your seat to someone who needs it more than you
- Give way to another driver, or someone in the queue
- Offer to help someone with heavy bags
- Tell someone "well done" or "thank you"