The Silver Line is a free, confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people, it is open 24 hours a day, every day of the year. The aim is to reduce loneliness and improve the lives of older people.
There is no strict age limit but most people who use the service are over 65. Anyone who considers themselves part of the 'Silver Generation' can use the service.
The helpline is run by trained volunteers who:
- Offer information, friendship and advice
- Link callers to local groups and services
- Offer regular befriending calls
- Protect and support those who are suffering abuse and neglect
The Silver Line also run:
- Silver Line Telephone Friends - you can receive a regular weekly friendship call with a Silver Line Friend.
- Silver Circles - you can take part in a regular group call on subjects that interest you.
- Silver Letters - you can receive a regular exchange of correspondence with a Silver Line Friend. All postage is free for both parties.
Silver Line Friends are volunteers who have contacted Silver Line because they enjoy talking to older people. They are vetted and trained, and work in pairs for safeguarding and support.
You can contact the Silver Line if you would like to become a volunteer.
Location: Minerva House
Street: 42 Wigmore Street
Postcode: W1U 2RY