I need urgent help! What to do in a crisis
I need urgent help! What to do in a crisis

Sheffield Citizens Advice

Sheffield Mental Health Citizens Advice Bureau and Advocacy Service has joined with other advice agencies across Sheffield to form the network - Sheffield Citizens Advice (also known as Advice Sheffield).

Sheffield Mental Health Citizens Advice Bureau provides an advice service targeting the most vulnerable within the mental health community and those least able to express their needs. They prioritise people in hospital and people with enduring mental health problems in the community.

If you're not using a mental health service at the moment you can use one of the other advice centres in the Advice Sheffield network.

The Advice service is based at:

Michael Carlisle Centre

Osborne Road


S11 9BF

Tel: 0114 271 8025

Email:  smhcab@cabnet.org.uk

Sheffield Mental Health Advocacy Service provides the following services:

General Mental Health Advocacy

This service is for adults (aged 16-65) who either need to access mental health services in Sheffield, or who are already using those services. It aims to empower people to put forward their views about their needs and priorities for their own wellbeing.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) service for Sheffield and Barnsley.
Qualifying patients in England  have a legal right to access to help from an Independent Mental Health Advocate (IMHA).

Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) service for Sheffield, Doncaster, Rotherham and Barnsley.

An IMCA must be involved if the person is deemed to lack capacity to make their own decision about the issue to be decided when the person has neither family nor a friend whom it is appropriate to consult on their behalf. However, where the issues are related to adult protection an IMCA may be consulted regardless of whether the individual has family or friends, this is when the decision to be made involves serious medical treatment provided by the NHS or it is proposed that the person be moved into residential or nursing care for more than 8 weeks, or hospital for more than 28 days. An IMCA may also be involved for issues around Safeguarding and/or Care Reviews.

Relevant Persons Representative service for people subject to DoLS authorisations.

The advocacy service is based at:

The Longley Centre

Norwood Grange Drive


S5 7JT

Tel: 0800 035 0396 or 0114 2261674

Email:  advocacy@smhcab.org.uk


Opening Times

Monday to Friday 9.00am - 5.00pm


Interpreters available.

Close x

Feedback Form

Please use the feedback form below to let us know what you think of the website and what we can do to improve it.

Optional contact details for additional feedback.

Did not view Did not view Did not view Did not view Did not view Did not view