Disability Sheffield (formerly 'Sheffield Centre for Independent Living') aims to help disabled people to overcome the barriers that prevent them from being fully included in society through the promotion of choice, control and independence. They are a membership and user led organisation, run and controlled by disabled people. They promote independent living for disabled people in Sheffield.
- Disability Information Service: Provides free, confidential information to disabled people, their families and friends, their personal assistants and carers and any other organisation or individual in Sheffield who needs information about a disability-related issue. The service is provided by staff and volunteers who have direct experience of disability themselves. They aim to provide the information you require using their own factsheets and local and national information databases and resources. They will also tell you about those resources and where to find them if you need to use them again.
- Advocacy Service: Disability Sheffield offers a free, confidential and independent advocacy service for disabled people living in Sheffield. If you are having trouble getting the health or social care services that you need, they may be able to help you. They accept self-referrals or referrals from third parties.
- Sheffield Voices: Sheffield Voices is a self-advocacy group for adults with learning disabilities. The group is part of Disability Sheffield and meets once a week to talk about issues affecting them. For more information contact can be made via the Disability Sheffield office or at 0114 2536751.
- Support for Individual Employers and Personal Assistants: This is a Peer Coaching and Mentoring Project providing 'Individual Employers' and 'Personal Assistants' with the opportunity to talk to someone who has had similar experiences, whether they are new to the world of care or not. The Coaches and Mentors can provide advice and suggestions in specific situations and also discuss shared experiences. Features also include a Personal Assistant Register to find a personal assistant, as well as support resources for Individual Employers.
- Employment Support: They provide employment support and information via their website, with an online resource detailing services about all stages of finding employment, including support services, information about education, training and volunteering, and in-work support.
Their website contains information and factsheets.
Location: The Circle
Street: 33 Rockingham Lane
Postcode: S1 4FW