Age UK Sheffield is an independent local organisation which supports older people (aged 50 years and over) in Sheffield, particularly those who are vulnerable or isolated. They work to help older people retain their independence and get the most out of life.
The service works with people in their own homes, in a variety of group settings around the city, and at Age UK Sheffield's city centre headquarters and shop providing access to information. Services include:
Information & Advice
- Information & Activity Resource Centre
- Benefit checks with the Money Advice Service
- Free initial legal appointment service
- Tax Help for Older People session
- Advocacy for people with mental health problems or learning disabilities
- South East Sheffield Older Peoples Housing Support Scheme
- Help at Home - Tinsley
- Support Worker service (Age UK Choice)
Macmillan Cancer Support Service
- This is a free citywide service to anyone affected by cancer. Self-referrals accepted.
- Lunch & Leisure - a social group which offers a friendly place to meet people, chat, pursue interests and take part in activities and outings (Mondays & Fridays).
- Memory Lane -A group aimed at people with memeory loss, including mild to moderate dementia (Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays).
These groups take place in Norfolk Park - depending where you live, transport may be provided. Refreshments and a two-course meal are provided.
Age UK Sheffield Choice
- This is a bespoke support worker service to help you get around, shop, socialise, use technology and more.
- Swimming & Fitness Club at Ponds Forge
- Informal Learning & Discussion Groups (including Literature & History groups)
The Club is a membership scheme made up of services and discount offers which include internet tuition, loans of laptops or iPads, a friendship service, invitations to free and discounted events including a film club.
All the above services are available to anyone aged 50 years and over, including those in receipt of a Personal Budget/Self-Directed Support or Direct Payments. Some services are free, while others have a charge - some people may be eligible for free places or discounted services depending on their circumstances: please see the website or get in touch for further details.
Referrals and more information
The information desk at the Activity Resource Centre, based within Age UK's city centre shop at 44 Castle Square, is open Monday to Friday from 10.30am - 1.00pm. You can speak to someone for advice about services and referrals. Alternatively call the information line above. You can also follow Age UK Sheffield on Facebook and Twitter.
Older Sheffield website
Age UK Sheffield also operate the Older Sheffield website which is a directory of voluntary, community and faith organisations offering services and activities in Sheffield for the over 50s. Visit www.oldersheffield.org.uk.
Age UK aims to improve later life for everyone through their information and advice, services, campaigns, products, training and research which are detailed on their website www.ageuk.org.uk They also have a free national information line on 0800 169 6565. It's open 365 days a year from 8am to 7pm.
Street: 44 Castle Square
Postcode: S1 2GF